discuss - [opennic-discuss] Increasing relevancy (Was: Policy proposal for removal...)

[opennic-discuss] Increasing relevancy (Was: Policy proposal for removal...)

  • From: "Aaron J. Angel" <aaron.angel AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: [opennic-discuss] Increasing relevancy (Was: Policy proposal for removal...)
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 22:49:46 -0400

On 08/15/2012 05:21 PM, mike wrote:
> I would counter this by arguing that a lack of T2 operators tends to
> lean OpenNIC more toward being irrelevant.

They way I look at it: Who besides Google are household names offering
public DNS? http://bit.ly/Oh6K3p. Not a big list. And we're one of
two with a 'complete list' of servers.

Providers, not end-users, are why ICANN dominates. We may disagree on
key policies, but the architecture is sound. Root servers are few, but
well maintained, long established and highly stable. Beyond that,
little focus is placed on end-users. Ultimately, they answer to providers.

If its relevancy we want, we should refocus on partnering with
providers. Slow is slow, but steady can catch up sooner than you realize.