discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Policy proposal for removalofnon-respondingT2servers

Re: [opennic-discuss] Policy proposal for removalofnon-respondingT2servers

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Policy proposal for removalofnon-respondingT2servers
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 08:33:47 -0600

GeoIP is the only info being used to calculate distances.  It generally works by the location of the internet provider that owns the block of IPs, and of course it is not always going to be accurate.  Take for instance the recent case where I mapped out all the servers and had a Canadian server being mapped in the Dominican Republic.  However GeoIP is the only resource I know of for quick geographic mapping.