discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Limitations on the number of T2 servers per person?

Re: [opennic-discuss] Limitations on the number of T2 servers per person?

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Limitations on the number of T2 servers per person?
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 13:23:52 -0600
  • Dmarc-filter: OpenDMARC Filter v1.3.0 mx4.sourpuss.net A49022D6DF

Regarding the discussion of how the nearest-server list works... As mentioned here and on IRC, two items in particular that I want to add into the calculation are 1) trying to pick from a number of different operators, and 2) adjusting the calculation based on the length of time a server has been in operation.

For #1 this should be fairly simple to force the list to include at least two different admins, and in areas where there are a larger number of nearby servers you might even end up with a list where every IP is run by a unique admin.

For #2, consider this: A server might have a 100% uptime, but if that server has only been online for 2 days then the number is meaningless. On the other hand, a server with a 98% uptime that has been available for the past 5 years should be considered more reliable and be weighted more towards the top of the list.

These ideas WILL get implemented into the code, but please give me some time. I'm still trying to update all the other code that works with the list of servers, and implement new features to give us the ability to do things like making the above calculations. Code is being rewritten day by day, but there's a lot to work on.