discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Limitations on the number of T2 servers per person?

Re: [opennic-discuss] Limitations on the number of T2 servers per person?

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Limitations on the number of T2 servers per person?
  • Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2015 23:34:22 -0600
  • Dmarc-filter: OpenDMARC Filter v1.3.0 mx2.sourpuss.net 567982D408

Sorry I didn't touch on these subjects in my original email. I was also pressed for time, and didn't want to throw out too much at one time...

Two things I want to specifically comment on, because it has already been discussed on IRC as well. First, the subject of what happens when the number of available servers drop. I believe, along with others, that no servers should *ever* be removed from the pool due to such circumstances. If your servers were allowed due to the established formula, you would not have them removed just because the formula now dictates you should have a lower number of servers. It *would* mean that you could not add any new servers again until the overall numbers came back up to a point where the formula allowed it. Does that make sense?

The second item is that of personal versus sponsored servers. An idea that was suggested would be that one of the tier0 admins (Julian, Brianko, Purrdeta, and/or myself) could receive a letter of intent for sponsorship of a server, and we could consider that as confirmation that a third party also has a vested interest in keeping the server running. Regardless of how proof is obtained, sponsored servers would have to figure differently into the formula, or perhaps not have any weight at all towards the calculation for personal server limitations. My own feeling towards this would be a requirement that the person collecting sponsors to have shown some set time with the opennic project, showing their own good faith in sticking around. Once that condition has been met, then I see no reason to place any limitation on sponsored servers. The only caveat I can see as a potential consideration might be that the tier0 admins also be provided with access to the sponsored servers, or something similar to provide a buffer for worst-case scenarios -- basically with the intent being that if the person who got the sponsorship were to suddenly leave opennic, or in the unfortunate event that something were to happen to them, the sponsors would have assurances that their server would continue to function and their investment would not be lost.

Just to clarify, some of this is from discussions on IRC, but most of it is just my own musings. Basically what it boils down to is: we shouldn't limit sponsored servers, but it would be nice to have a way to give assurances to the sponsors.