discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] A forum

Re: [opennic-discuss] A forum

  • From: Chip Wasson <chip AT wasson.io>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] A forum
  • Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2016 23:47:50 -0700

Hey all,

First off, talk.geek (also available at talkdotgeek.com) is not official so it shouldn't have a link from the project website.

The original aim of talk.geek did require some fragmentation of discussion but not in a negative fashion. The thought was to provide a platform for discussion and collaboration on highly focused or long(er) term topics/projects that may span days or weeks without polluting the mailing list, keeping it free for more time-sensitive updates and truly general interest discussion. I doubt everyone on the mailing list cares to have discussion about the version-to-version requirements of digbot, the looking glass and nitty gritty discussion about traffic filtering filling up their inbox.

Meanwhile, proposals for new TLDs and the project itself do belong in a mailing list that every involved member of the project receives without having to actively look for the update. PUSH-ing the important information to everyone as a previous poster put it.

In the original discussion almost a year ago, talk.geek was a different type of discussion platform rather than a replacement of the mailing list. A forum could provide a single place for someone interested or involved in the OpenNIC project to see focused discussion about techniques and projects going on within the community, as well as take part in discussion without having to feel like the entire community would be "forced" to read their reply.

A forum does require a certain critical mass of traffic/topics/projects which was missing when talk.geek first started. The couple quick projects at the time just continued in dedicated IRC channels.

The site is obviously still an experiment, If anyone wants to make changes to talk.geek let me know. I'm open to giving changes to the site a shot, just give me a shout.

Spam was a bit of an issue in March so currently in order to register on talk.geek you need the secret word "spamsucks".

I'll make sure to be around on IRC the next couple days.

-Chip
achip on IRC