discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Codenamed: MUD4TLD

Re: [opennic-discuss] Codenamed: MUD4TLD

  • From: Martin C <martin AT mchomenet.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Codenamed: MUD4TLD
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 16:28:15 +1000

Could you please first share how you want this API to work?

It would be cool if we all talk the same way :)
My basic design is that there are two data sets (ie: tables) that we look at: first is the list of current recorded/registered domains. Second is a list of "registrars". More than likely this would be DNS providers and web hosting providers who want to offer your TLD to their users.

As for the API itself, I imagine that certain messages would be passed containing the information needed for the various requests. Let's just say someone calling themselves "Worlds Greatest Domains" sends along a register request:

user=wgd001
userkey=(16 character hexadecimal key for verification)
cmd=record
domain=mysite.TLD
ns1=ns1.wgd.com
ns2=ns2.wgd.com
name=John Smith
email=jsmith AT isp.com
etc

or as received by the system:
/rm_api.cgi?user=wgd001&userkey=1234567890abcdef&cmd=record&domain=mysite.TLD&ns1=ns1.wgd.com&ns2=ns2.wgd.com&name=John Smith&email=jsmith AT isp.com

Other commands for cmd could be: delete, update and transfer.

This allows for remote domain registration, updates, deletion and the benefits upon the DNS providers side; group ownership of domains, domain transfer between registrars and of course, dynamic DNS.

After the message is sent, a status code would be returned to the requester, so they would know what just happened and whether everything behind the scenes worked as intended.

This is just the basic outline for now. As I aim for speed and simplicity, the above message passing would be sent as standard CGI unless another fast method proves to be just as good, and would probably not be via XML or JSON.

Of course, if you are working on something that might integrate into the above concept, then interoperability is important and I'm happy for a basic "OpenNIC Remote Management Application Programming Interface" draft to be done up that details all this for those on the outside needing to know how to use it, and of course, a development road-map for the rest of us.

Martin.