discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Call for vote to drop ING

Re: [opennic-discuss] Call for vote to drop ING

  • From: Allen Schultz <allen.schultz AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Call for vote to drop ING
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2014 11:57:29 -0700

OpenNIC Community:

I'd second the OpenNIC Foundation, but I'm not quite a voter in this community, or at least I don't think I am.

--
Allen Schultz <Allen.Schultz AT gmail.com>
--

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 11:54 AM, Brian Koontz <brian AT opennicproject.org> wrote:
On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 06:10:39PM +1100, Tim Groeneveld wrote:
> maybe this could happen [grandfathering of the domains] but I doubt it
> highly. I have fought the good fight,  but nothing happened.  Dear Lord
> God Almighty, please let this (and .biz before it) be a lesson that we
> need a much better legal protections put in place if we want to seriously
> operate in this space.

And the only way this will happen is if OpenNIC has some sort of corporate
structure that would allow it to stand on its own legally.  We are where we
are right now because OpenNIC has never been a legal entity, so even if we
have a beef with ICANN, we have no legal standing even if we did want to
complain.

In light of where we currently stand (or don't stand, as the case may be),
I'd like to use this unfortunate circumstance to propose that OpenNIC funds
be used to establish an OpenNIC foundation, to serve as the "advocacy" arm
of OpenNIC.

I will repost in its own thread so it's not lost.

  --Brian