discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Call for vote on .free issues

Re: [opennic-discuss] Call for vote on .free issues

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Call for vote on .free issues
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2016 13:43:51 -0700
  • Dmarc-filter: OpenDMARC Filter v1.3.0 mx3.sourpuss.net A7A3B2D3B9

So how is this time any different than the previous times where ICANN has overrun one of our existing TLDs?  If you're worried about a precedent being set, you're about a decade too late.  And the truth is that ICANN doesn't care about us.  To make matters worse, have you ever watched the mailing list at dns-oarc?  If you even breathe the suggestion of alternate roots, they get all up in arms about how alt roots are destroying the internet and break DNS functionality, and you can't argue the fact that it is ICANN who doesn't play nice.  Apparently if something doesn't have the backing of major corporations and billions of dollars, then it must be the cause of all things bad...

No, ICANN is not watching us.  If we had thousands of users who made a big stink on social media, we might get upgraded to a "nuisance".

.liber was suggested as a less-popular option with a lower probability of being used in the future, however based on the current voting it appears nobody cares about that and would rather take a chance with the more popular .libre spelling.  I also threw out .beer and asked for other suggestions, but nothing else came up.

And as I mentioned in the first email, nobody has offered to make contact with any of those entities about co-existing in some way.  If you are volunteering, please let us know.  Even if we wanted to put together a writing campaign, someone would need to find the appropriate contacts for everyone to send their letters to.