discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] New TLD .RUS

Re: [opennic-discuss] New TLD .RUS

  • From: Al Beano <albino AT autistici.org>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] New TLD .RUS
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2017 15:57:07 +0100

Hi Dmitry,

Sorry for my sporadic replies — I've been quite busy lately and haven't had
time to fully catch up with this list.

I don't think quantity necessarily equals quantity in this situation. OpenNIC
doesn't want to offer a bewilderingly large array of TLDs, it wants to offer
a selection of unique ones with passionate people behind them.

Alt-ccTLDs then present a couple of issues: firstly, that there's no way to
decide who should control them: the first people to come along might not be
the best. This is not meant as a personal insult to you; I think you'd be a
very good administrator of .rus, but this issue could crop up in other cases.

On the other hand, the opposite may be true: why should only Russia and
Australia have alt-ccTLDs? We will never have enough T1 admins to cover every
country (at least, not for the foreseeable future).

ICANN solves this problem by giving each country TLD to some government
authority, afaik, and letting them do what they wish with it. This isn't
really possible for us.

Secondly, promoting the creation of alt-ccTLDs encourages would-be
contributors simply to pick a country and start a TLD for that. Every
proposal would look the same and there wouldn't be any way to differentiate
the people behind them. If people don't have to demonstrate that they're
willing to put in the time to develop an original idea and charter for the
TLD they want, I think we may see many new TLDs being created and quickly
falling into disrepair.

I understand that this is harsh criticism to an idea you're obviously
enthusiastic about, but overall, I don't see a real advantage of creating
these TLDs. Unless these issues are addressed in some way, I will vote no to
proposals of new ccTLDs.

albino